Aug 14, 2014

Starting a Small Claims Court Action Just Became Easier

Currently, a claim for unpaid wages, vacation pay and termination pay can be brought to the Ministry of Labour as a complaint under the Employment Standards Act, but the maximum you can obtain is generally $10,000. If you claim for termination pay then you generally cannot bring a wrongful dismissal action in the courts.

If your wrongful dismissal damages are $25,000 or less, then you can file the claim in Small Claims Court.

On August 11, 2014, the Minister of the Attorney General introduced a new pilot project allowing plaintiffs to file claims online for certain matters.  The claims can be made only in Brampton, Oshawa, Ottawa and Richmond Hill. It may be broadened to the entire province in 2015.

Not all claims are covered by the new e-filing. Your claim must be for a specific amount – for example a specific amount owed under a contract. If the amount owed is in dispute, filing must proceed the normal route.

We help employees with small claims court actions. We can either: draft small claims court claims on your behalf and help you navigate the process on your own or we can take over the case from start to finish; the choice is yours.

 If you have a potential Small Claims Court action and would like to speak with an employment lawyer about your rights, please contact us at [email protected] or 1-888-640-1728 (toll free) or 647-633-9894 (within the GTA).


Recent Posts

Toronto Office

702 - 2 Bloor Street West,
Toronto, ON M4W 3E2

Barrie Office

277 - 92 Caplan Avenue,
Barrie, ON L4N 9J2

Collingwood Office

220 - 1 First Street
Collingwood, ON
L9Y 1A1



+1 (888) 640-1728


(866) 883-8445


[email protected]

Toronto Office

702 - 2 Bloor Street West, Toronto ON M4W 3E2

Barrie Office

277 - 92 Caplan Avenue, Barrie ON L4N 9J2

Collingwood Office

220 - 1 First Street, Collingwood, ON L9Y 1A1


Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Join our mailing list to receive the latest news and updates from our team.

You have Successfully Subscribed!