If you are serving alcohol at an office party on your premises, you should take certain precautions. Your organization may be held liable for damages an intoxicated employee causes after leaving the party. You can read more about how to avoid alcohol at work-related incidents here.
When you are serving alcohol at your company event, here are some suggestions to keep in mind:
– tell employees in advance that you will be serving alcohol; they should not drink at the party and drive
– provide taxi chits to all employees who attend the party, or arrange for designated drivers
– limit the number of drinks provided to each person
– do not have an open or self-serve bar
– hire professionally trained servers and specifically direct them to stop serving alcohol to intoxicated people
Some employers have benefitted from COVID and others have not. The federal government has supported the “have not” employers with a 75% wage subsidy. But it is scheduled to come to an end in September. So I have been getting calls from employers who cannot maintain...
An employee with 5 years service is entitled to one week severance pay for each year of service to a maximum of 26 weeks severance pay under the Employment Standards Act (ESA) IF the employer’s payroll exceeds $ 2.5M. In 2014, Ontario’s Superior Court of Justice...
Temporary layoffs deemed not to be termination during the COVID pandemic.