If you are serving alcohol at an office party on your premises, you should take certain precautions. Your organization may be held liable for damages an intoxicated employee causes after leaving the party. You can read more about how to avoid alcohol at work-related incidents here.
When you are serving alcohol at your company event, here are some suggestions to keep in mind:
– tell employees in advance that you will be serving alcohol; they should not drink at the party and drive
– provide taxi chits to all employees who attend the party, or arrange for designated drivers
– limit the number of drinks provided to each person
– do not have an open or self-serve bar
– hire professionally trained servers and specifically direct them to stop serving alcohol to intoxicated people
What is the definition of harassment? This blog discusses an employer’s legal obligation to investigate workplace harassment complaints and how to limit the cost of these investigations.
All organizations should have their employment contract reviewed by an employment lawyer every year or two.
A recent Supreme Court of Canada case, C.M. Callow Inc. vs. Zollinger, imposes an obligation on an employer not to knowingly mislead an employee about how it intends to exercise its contractual rights. The Facts In this case, a number of condo corporations entered into a two year contract with Mr. Callow to perform winter maintenance […]