If you are serving alcohol at an office party on your premises, you should take certain precautions. Your organization may be held liable for damages an intoxicated employee causes after leaving the party. You can read more about how to avoid alcohol at work-related incidents here.
When you are serving alcohol at your company event, here are some suggestions to keep in mind:
– tell employees in advance that you will be serving alcohol; they should not drink at the party and drive
– provide taxi chits to all employees who attend the party, or arrange for designated drivers
– limit the number of drinks provided to each person
– do not have an open or self-serve bar
– hire professionally trained servers and specifically direct them to stop serving alcohol to intoxicated people
Here are my top 5 employment law stories for 2022: 1. COVID 19 - Temporary Layoffs This issue remains my number one story because this issue impacts so many court cases. Some judges have concluded that a temporary layoff set out in the Infectious Disease Emergency...
In a recent case, Pohl v. Hudson’s Bay Company, 2022 ONSC 5230 (CanLII),an employer was ordered to pay a long service employee the equivalent of about 3 years pay and contribute about $ 35 000 to his legal fees. Although this was a without cause termination case, it...
A new amendment to the Employment Standards Act requires employers with 25 or more employees on January 1st of a given year to put in place a written policy regarding any electronic monitoring processes they use to monitor employees. The deadline for 2022 is October...